- Patient-equivalent acrylic and aluminum phantoms provide the necessary attenuation between the source and AEC or ABC detector
- Helps you comply with JCAHO requirements for radiographic exposure measurements
JCAHO requires that x-ray exposure measurements be determined for commonly used projections in all radiographic suites. In order to provide this information when using Automatic Exposure Control (AEC) or Automatic Brightness Control (ABC) systems, specially designed phantoms must be used. Attenuating material must be used between the source and AEC or ABC detectors. Since these detectors are energy dependent, measurement of skin entrance exposure requires the use of patient-equivalent phantoms for meaningful results.
AAPM Report #31 recommends the use of four special phantoms for use in diagnostic x-rays. These acrylic and aluminum phantoms are patient equivalent, and are specifically designed to conform to the AAPM recommendations.
Chest X-Ray Phantom
The Chest Phantom consists of four sheets of 25cm x 25cm x 2.54cm clear acrylic. One sheet of 25cm x 25cm x 1 mm and one sheet of 25cm x 25cm x 2mm type 1100 high-purity aluminum and spacers to provide a 5.08 cm air gap. Clinical testing of the phantom has shown it to be equivalent to a 23 cm patient for the PA chest projection.
- Weight: 17.5 lbs (8 kg)
Abdomen/Lumbar Spine Phantom
The Phantom consists of five sheets of 25cm x 25cm x 2.54 cm and one sheet of 25 cm x 25 cm x 5.08 clear acrylic to achieve a 17.78 cm thick phantom. In order to provide additional attenuation in the spinal region, a 7cm x 25cm x 4.5cm thick piece of high-purity aluminum is included.
- Weight: 37 lbs (17kg)
Skull X-Ray Phantom
The Skull Phantom has the same configuration as the Chest Phantom, but without the air gap. It consists of four sheets of 25cm x 25cm x 2.54 clear acrylic, one sheet of 25cm x 25cm x 1 mm and one sheet of 25cm x 25cm x 2mm high-purity alloy aluminum and a center sheet of 25cm x 25cm x 5.08 clear acrylic.
- Weight: 26.5 lbs (12kg)
Extremity X-Ray Phantom
The extremity Phantom consists of one 25cm x 25cm x 2 cm piece of high-purity alloy aluminum sandwiched between two sheets of 25cm x 25cm x 2.54 cm clear acrylic.
- Weight: 10 lbs ( 4.5kg)
Make-Your-Own-Phantom Modular Kit
This kit contains all the components needed to make any one of the phantoms on this page. Includes:
- Five sheets 25cm x 25cm x 2.54 cm thick acrylic
- One sheet 25cm x 25cm 5.08cm thick acrylic
- One sheet 25cm x 25cm x 1 cm thick aluminum
- One sheet 25cm x 25cm x 2 mm thick aluminum
- One sheet 7 cm x 25cm x 4.5 cm thick aluminum
- Spacers for a 5.08 cm air gap
- Weight: 34 lbs (15.3kg)
- 0695-0180 Chest X-Ray Phantom
- 0695-0181 Abdomen/Lumbar Spine Phantom
- 0695-0182 Skull X-Ray Phantom
- 0695-0183 Extremity X-Ray Phantom
- 0695-0103 Make-Your-Own-Phantom Modular Kit
Click on a thumbnail below to view full size.